Main Interface Upgrades

May 22, 2009 General News 0 Comments
A good amount of progress was made on the main interface today.  First of all, I fixed the control drawing/resizing bug once and for all! It's very exciting because it was glaring flaw that I couldn't do anything about and it made mGen look a lot less professional because controls would draw incorrectly or in the wrong place.  All I had to do was change all the Gui, Move calls to Gui, MoveDraw! And voila!  The interface stays intact now regardless of how vigorously the user resizes it.  Beautiful.
I also filled the second modular panel of the main interface today with a "Run Time Breakdown," which basically keeps track of where the time is being spent during the generating process.  It displays an entry for the "render  time," which includes sorting the note data and converting to MIDI, as well as entries for the structure, progression, generative, and post-processing modules (coordination module yet to come).  So after mGen finishes a composition, it will show exactly what percent of the time it spent on each area, and color codes the entries appropriately so that resource hogs will show in less-friendly colors.  GGrewve, being the most cpu intensive plugin, takes up about 70% of the runtime in my current projects.
It's nice to be able to see where the time is being spent.  It's also nice to not have controls freaking out on my every time I want to maximize the window.

A good amount of progress was made on the main interface today.  First of all, I fixed the control drawing/resizing bug once and for all! It's very exciting because it was glaring flaw that I couldn't do anything about and it made mGen look a lot less professional because controls would draw incorrectly or in the wrong place.  All I had to do was change all the Gui, Move calls to Gui, MoveDraw! And voila!  The interface stays intact now regardless of how vigorously the user resizes it.  Beautiful.

I also filled the second modular panel of the main interface today with a "Run Time Breakdown," which basically keeps track of where the time is being spent during the generating process.  It displays an entry for the "render  time," which includes sorting the note data and converting to MIDI, as well as entries for the structure, progression, generative, and post-processing modules (coordination module yet to come).  So after mGen finishes a composition, it will show exactly what percent of the time it spent on each area, and color codes the entries appropriately so that resource hogs will show in less-friendly colors.  GGrewve, being the most cpu intensive plugin, takes up about 70% of the runtime in my current projects.

It's nice to be able to see where the time is being spent.  It's also nice to not have controls freaking out on my every time I want to maximize the window.