Inspiring Glitch

Several updates tonight. First of all, I got the new structure module Manual working. It'll be the structural equivalent of ProgLib - a simple library of structure choice in formats like ABABCBA, etc. I'm also experimenting with a new way of grouping instruments for issuing part instructions. As simple as the plugin is right now, I can't tell if it's actually doing anything. It more or less provide uniform movements with nothing going on, which is fine with me while I test the other modules. I guess that's all I really need for a while - a solid foundation.

I uncovered several problems in ProgLib that were keeping it from randomizing the progression properly. I also added a new library called "Typical," which will include the most basic progressions found in practically everything.

Output started sounding decent again but wasn't anything special. EvoSpeak's looping is getting kind of annoying, I need to make it dynamic as soon as possible. On the upside, I still have almost no complaints about GGrewve. I often forget that I actually have had great success on a at least one plugin. GGrewve does its job so well that I forget it even exists; I assume the drum tracks just happened magically.

Towards the end of the night a glitch in ProgLib actually contributed to a very nice assisted composition. I've started documenting interesting glitches now because the products can be quite awesome. In this glitch, ProgLib was failing to read one of the new progressions in the "Typical" library properly. It had the chords right and it had the durations right, but the fact that one duration was twice as long as the others caused something to go wrong internally (probably a duration counter), causing ProgLib to write a pleasing 5/4 progression that cycled. In other words, ProgLib would add an extra measure each cycle by doubling one of the single-measure duration chords. Very strange indeed, but it resulted in an inspiring composition.

There's nothing better than joy in things going wrong.